Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

fun school....

The kids are enjoying school.

We used Lego's to build and measure. I had them build to a certain height and then measure with a ruler to see how close they came to it. I find it funny, being the total opposites they are, that Dylan's tower is straight up and down while Dawson just threw any shape together. (just sayin'.)


We are doing a unit study on the United States. I found this huge puzzle at a yard sale this summer for .50!

Caitlin is "reading" her book. She makes up the story from the pictures.

These are skipBo cards that I attached to the t.v.. Why would I do that for school? Because my kids get bored with workbooks and to keep their attention I create games to make it more fun. With this game, they got out the nerf guns and shot at the cards. The number they hit was how many answers to the question. So if they hit the number 2, I would have them give me 2 declarative sentences. If they hit 11, They would have to spell 11 spelling words....etc.

Having fun and learning together. good times! We don't just play, they practice penmanship and work from a language arts workbook, creative writing, bible, spelling, reading, math workbook and typing. I've looked over a few science curriculum and think "Backyard Science" might fit in well with everyone.
We go with the flow a bit around here. Like when Dawson was doing his reading on Ben Franklin today, we found out he published an almanac. Dawson didn't know what that was so we searched it out on the internet and got far more involved than expected. LOL! We found ourselves finding out about moon phases and astrological symbols and graphs......
That's home schooling!

No comments: