Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bagels

Good Morning and welcome to my kitchen! We are having some fresh homemade bagels, take your pick.....plain, cinnamon sugar or my favorite, the everything bagel.

My sweet son Dylan said they are soooo good I should sell them! Love that boy :)
Ahhhh......now if only I had a coffee pot....it would smell like Einstein's:)
Bagel Recipe:
1 1/2 C.warm water
add:
2 Tbs. yeast and let dissolve ( stir it)
add 1 Tbs. sugar and 1 Tbs salt and 1 1/2 C. flour
Stir for 2 min (the recipe said with a mixer but I was too lazy to get it out and plug it in)......
Add 1/2 C. more flour and stir another 2 min.
It starts to look like pancake batter right about now......
Add: another 2 to 2 1/2 C. more flour....your going to have to skip the spoon and use your hands now.
Kneed for 10 min. (I think that's the fun part)
Let it rise in a warm place for 40 min. ( in an oiled bowl)
Punch down the dough and let it rest for 10 more min.
O.k. If your still here reading this, It's really worth the effort...I promise:)
Divide dough in 12 sections and make a ball and poke your finger through the middle.
Set on an oiled cookie sheet and let rise again
(Now I have learned to do this whole part the night before and let them rise in the fridge...makes it easier in the morning)
Boil water with a little sugar in it, Put a couple bagels in for about 30 sec on each side. Take out with a slotted spoon and drain on a towel.
Bake at 400* on oiled cookie sheet till brown on top (15 min)
It seems like a lot of work, but typing the recipe was harder than making these :)
Try it!

No comments: