Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

Ramblings of a homeschool mom

Well here we are officially starting another school year. I sat my kids down this morning and welcomed them to the 1st and 4th grade." Good Morning!" " I am your teacher Mrs. Stitt" I say with a smile. With a roll of the eyes from the 4th grader I get back a sarcastic, "just like last year."
For a moment, I asked myself, why are you doing this? Why go through another year of researching subjects, countless trips to the library, endless hours on the Internet, copies copies copies of worksheets, all for just big yawns from the 2 students I have. I could be getting a pedicure and have lunch with a friend or play tennis with the girls and go shopping. But, since the big yellow bus did not come to pick them up this morning, we went on as planned for our home school day. Yawns and all.
Our first subject.....Art. let's start out nice and easy, we go over shading...
Dawson: Whats this for?
Dylan: Are we supposed to color all the page?
Caitlin: I want to draw with the pencil!
Dylan: Cait_liiin! that's my pencil you get another one
Caitlin: THAT'S MY PENCIL!
Dawson: I need to sharpen my pencil.
Caitlin: I sharpen mine too
Dylan: these leaves look like hearts
Dawson: Caitlin you can't sharpen your own pencil.
Caitlin: starts to roll all over the kitchen floor......
Dylan: DONE!
Mrs. Stitt: Dylan, you need to color the whole paper.
Dawson: MOM, Caitlin dropped her cheerios on the floor.
Dylan: DONE!

Somebody.. remind me why I do this again.

So today was a little hard to get back into the swing of things. I'm sure it will get better.

Dawson was talking to me tonight about someone who wasn't very nice to him recently. I said, you know he just doesn't know any better, maybe he will change. Dawson said, "I know, I know...Love those who hate you , Pray for those who persecute you." WHAT! Where did you learn that!?!

he said,
FROM YOU!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

It truly does get easier, but not usually before you feel like you just can't take it much more! I remember the days of having 2 in elementary and one toddler - boy am I glad to be through that time of my life! And you are doing this because you know what - they truly are worth it! You are doing a great job with your family - don't lose heart!

Anonymous said...

I would love to have more than one yawn coming at me...maybe not! But it definitely is worth it although I don't have the experience of more than one. But it will be worth it when your kids will still give you hugs and kisses in front of their friends when they are 13 and 16. Keep on keepin' on, Sis! Love you, Tammy

greg said...

remember this: one day you will look at what you did and wonder, how you did it. In the meantime, enjoy every rolled eye and yawn you can get. :)