Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesdays cupcake!


This is Wednesday's cupcake....in-a-jar!
This was so fun to do! About a month ago my mother in law gave me 2 boxes of canning jars with recipes to make mixes in a jar. I looked at the recipes first and picked some to make. Then I opened the box to find out they were little 8 oz. size. I found out you can bake right in the jars, so now we have cute little one serving desserts. I am going to keep experimenting with this idea with different flavors but this one is a plain chocolate cake with added chocolate chips and chocolate fudge frosting.
You take your jars and boil them for 10 min. then you butter and flour the insides. Fill the jar with batter, but make sure you go only half way maybe even a little less. I added the chocolate chips to the batter. Bake on a cookie sheet at 325* no hotter or they will shatter, for about 25 min. While it's baking boil the lids and keep them warm. When the cake is done you put the lid on and soon you will start to hear them POP. As it cools the lid gets suctioned on. And there you have a cake in a jar to send or eat whenever. The only thing I did was add some chocolate fudge on some and leftover caramel frosting that I poured over the top before I put the lid on. I don't think I will do it that way again if I were to give this as a gift, instead I am thinking of making a thicker frosting and inserting it as a filling, kinda like a hostess cupcake thingy.
The kids thought this was so cool! Gone in seconds!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I love this idea! I have made pumpkin bread in a can and banana bread in big jars, but never sealing the lid after making it! How cool is that!!! And yes, I think my cookies could make a good cupcake if done right!!

janice said...

cool idea

greg said...

hey, got an extra bedroom at your house?

Tammy said...

Waiting on Thursdays...

Lori said...

This is super cute. I may have to give this one a try.