Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Job 14:9


This is the only thing left in the garden. This one lonely tomato. I haven't watered it, or moved it to get the best sunlight, I haven't fertilized it or pruned the plant for months. In fact, this plant was from Troys upside down garden he had started. The plant died out months ago. We took it off the post and just left the bucket by the fence. We cut off all the dead branches and that was that.
When the plant started growing from the dried out, cut off twigs that were left behind, I would say to the kids, " should we let this plant know it can't grow here?" Then it started to flower. I thought there was no way we could get a tomato. I don't water it and it hasn't rained in forever! It was even in the shade of the fence.
At the scent of water it will flourish
And put forth sprigs like a plant.
Job 14:9
This is now more than a plant for me. It's God telling me, " Look what I can do with nothing." What I see on the outside as dead, dried up, and finished (aka my life sometimes) God took with just a scent of water ( aka a prayer? a little faith? ) It will flourish. ( notice it didn't say, might flourish, could flourish )
Now I have to say, to me, this is a God thing, because I have tried to root very healthy plants last year with absolutely no success. I couldn't make it happen on my own! Leave it to the Lord to show me such a valuable lesson in leaning on Him right in my own garden!
I no longer joke about telling the plant it can't grow where it did. I now look forward to seeing this little tomato ripen up.....right where God put it!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I love when God teaches us amazing lesson like that. He truly can do anything!