Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

lesson learned

My kids have a class on Wednesday night at church called "kids connection". Tonight they had a Christmas party and learned a very important lesson. The kids had stockings and a bunch of toys and candy to stuff them with. They were told to fill up their stockings with all the stuff they wanted. Then when they were done..........they were told that Christmas isn't about themselves and it was about giving to others, so they were to pass their stocking to the person beside them. ( clever idea ) Well we get home and empty out the goody bags and Dylan had this toy that Dawson picked to put in his bag before he had to give it away. I wish I could type his words as he says them but it went something like, " oh maaaaaan! You got one of thooooose! " Dawson's mouth was watering watching Dylan flip this little plastic thing in the air. It didn't take but a couple of seconds and you could see the light turn on in Dylan's head and with his first finger pointed up beside his tilted head he said,"wait a minute........we learned something tonight." I said what was that. He said "Christmas isn't all about yourself, ( now his hands are tapping his chest) it's about giving to others." And with that thought of wisdom, he passed his little popping toy over to his brother. ( wait a minute I'm tearing up and need a tissue )
Now when Dylan got his neighbors stocking it was from a girl, so he got a stocking that was filled with erasers and a pencil, that toy was the only thing he liked in the bag. So a wonderful lesson was planted into his heart that it is better to give than receive.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my word - you made me cry! Wow! I am so excited to hear that he got it! That is so awesome, but that just goes with what you and I talked about tonight, doesn't it?

janice said...

What a sweet story. It made my day. Thanks

greg said...

I love this blog. You are good at putting the reader in the story. As i read along, its as if i am there seeing the situation unfold. absolutly loved it. ;)